In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Choose Your Own DVD Adventure

Serena gave me a great Xmas gift yesterday. The Bluray edition of the recently released Return To House On Haunted Hill.


Now, I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like the 1999 House on Haunted Hill remake. It's a much maligned title, that I have to defend all the time, but I've always really enjoyed it. The solid cast, great sound design and awesome visual style really work for me. I guess that makes me a tad hypocritical considering my last post, but so be it. House was also one of the first movies I ever purchased on DVD.

So, I guess it makes some sort of cyclical sense that Return would be one of the first next-gen DVD's that I own. What makes this disc really unique is the 'navigational cinema' functionality. Simply put, the movie plays like one of those old choose your own adventure books that I used to read as a kid. As I understand it, at frequent points during the movie, a menu screen will pop up with a question like, "Should Paul run away? Yes or No?". You make a choice using your remote and the movie continues based on your decision. Apparently, there are ninety-six different scenarios.

I'm really looking forward to digging my teeth into this. I'll update this blog on my 'adventures' soon. Oh, Cerina Vincent and Jeffrey Combs are in it, too. Score!

Thanks Serena!

No comments: