In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Funny Games


Funny Games is a remake of the 1997 German film of the same name. A family, vacationing in their lake house, is set upon by two young psychopaths.

Michael Haneke (the director of both versions) has pretty much left the film untouched and props to him for doing so. I am interested to see how general audiences are going to react to a film like this because I’m certain that they have never come in contact with anyone like Haneke before. His slow and brooding camera style is still prevalent and in complete contrast to the way Hollywood films of this ilk are made. I also suspect that the “fourth wall” bits will be as audience splitting as they were back in ’97.

Funny Games was as uncomfortable for me to watch, as it was the first time around. Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was now happening to Naomi Watts and Tim Roth, not German actors unknown to me. The escalating feeling of dread is not toned down one iota. I put Haneke up there with Lars Von Trier and Gaspar NoĆ© when it comes to being able to unsettle and disturb. They all make films that are technically brilliant, yet overtly ugly at the same time. The performances are great across the board, especially Watts – is there anything this woman can’t do?

This review is short because there is not really much to say. Funny Games is something that just needs to be experienced before I can talk to you about it. One thing is for sure regardless; you’re not going to feel good afterwards.

No comments: