In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Masked Mayhem!

The horror genre, more than any other, has its common elements. One of the more inventive of these tropes is the mask. It is a device that is often used to conceal a killer’s identity until the big reveal in the last act. Sometimes, a mask can also take on its own identity and become a trademark. However it is used, nothing gives a horror flick more zip than a killer with a cool and/or creepy mask. I’m sure by now, you’ve all seen the sweet posters for the upcoming movie The Strangers over the past few months. In honour of its release this Friday, I put together this special masked edition of Coverbox Wednesday. I’ll start with the obvious icons and move on from there.





Even though I’m pretty sure I know what to expect from The Strangers, I’m still looking forward to finally seeing it. I just hope I don’t get trampled by the droves of women clamouring to see the Sex and the City movie this weekend. Now, THAT’S a scenario much scarier than anything pictured above, my friends.

No comments: