In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Friday, June 6, 2008

Fear Itself "The Sacrifice"

After their car breaks down, four criminals seek refuge in an old fort and are welcomed by the three sultry sisters that reside there. All seems fine… until night falls.

First off, I’d like to get something off my chest. I have a big problem with the state of network television logo watermarking. It’s been getting gradually more intrusive over the years and last night was the worse I’ve seen it so far. Putting a faded logo in the corner is okay I guess, but what is NOT okay, is THIS!




That huge ass peacock logo was there THE ENTIRE SHOW. I don’t give a shit that Nashville Star is on Monday at 9/8 Central. Fix that shit, NBC! This is exactly the kind of thing that makes people go, ‘you know what? I’ll just wait for the DVD’, and then forget about it entirely. This television spam is unfortunate because it distracts from an episode that wasn’t bad. It’s nothing spectacular, but it was certainly better than some of the episodes Garris trotted out for the second season of Masters Of Horror. The story had one extra layer than I was expecting and there’s a clever bit that I had to chuckle at. As a red blooded male, you know those moments where you think ‘I totally would have fallen for that!’ Well, there was one here.

The Sacrifice also looks great in high definition; none of this Masters 4x3 480i bullshit anymore. And my biggest concern about the sanitization of the product due to it being network was a non-issue, as making it gorier wouldn’t have added anything to the piece. I kept trying to remember where I’d seen Virginia (Mircea Monroe) before, until I finally decided it was just that she looked like Jessica Simpson. Also, unless there is another huge colonial fort set somewhere, that HAS to be the same one that was used for Ginger Snaps 3. What is it about this structure that attracts monsters?

You can see Virginia's not impressed by the watermark either.


Brad Anderson’s (of Session 9 and The Machinist) episode is next week. It is entitled “Spooked” and is about a private eye spending the night in a haunted house. Anderson has a firm grasp on this kind of stuff. In edition to the similarly themed Session 9, his Masters Of Horror episode “Sounds Like” was one of my faves from the sophomore season.

No comments: