In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Turn On The Sun!

August is already upon us, not that you’d know it in my neck of the woods. Toronto has had records rainfalls the last few months making it the most waterlogged region in Canada this summer, which is ridiculous considering the usual weather patterns of British Columbia and the Maritimes. Let’s hope this all turns around for us starting… NOW!

This Coverbox Wednesday I commemorate the lazy days of summer, a time for backyard barbeques, summer camp and GRUESOME DEATH!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another movie that reminds me of the summer is EVIL DEAD. I spent many summers in video stores trying to track it down. I spent literally 3-4 years looking for this movie and then out of no where i discovered a video store in Cambridge called LANDRY'S VIDEO. The store was in an old farm house on the other side of Cambridge...a part of the city I had never been to before. They had rows and rows of VHS tapes and the biggest HORROR section ever. I spent every week at the video store renting movie after movie. They had a great deal - 7 movies, 7 nights, 7 bucks. To my surprise they actually had EVIL DEAD. I went home and taped it even before I watched it. For the next week, I think I watched Evil Dead every day after I went swimming in the local lake in Cambridge. The other 6 movies I rented, I unfortunately had to re-rent as I spent most of my time watching Evil Dead.

That is my summertime Evil Dead story.

Jay Clarke said...

awesome story man, just awesome.

Walt Keegan said...

Is there something wrong with me for actually enjoying "Maximum Overdrive"? I too taped a rented version and watched it multiple times when I was younger (I do have a problem, and I can admit it). Even when it comes on now, I'll watch it for:

"Lisa Simpson" cracks me up in a horror movie.

The roaming bloody lawn mower.

Getting beaned in the head with a can of Coke.

The awesome soundtrack (which I still have on vinyl).

And the iconic Green Goblin truck.

Good times...

Jay Clarke said...

Nothing at all, Overdrive rules! I love Pat Hingle in it. "You on parole booooy!"