In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Stop Looking At Me!

Last weekend, I found out that a little-known 1983 horror flick called Night Warning is screening here in May. I've never seen it, but on hearing the title, the image of its coverbox popped into my head immediately...


It suddenly occurred to me that many of those vintage VHS covers used that disembodied eyes design. It makes sense, as spying a set of predominantly displayed glazzies staring back at you from a video store shelf is certainly an eye-catcher (ptp). Following that trend, I did a little investigation and cobbled together some examples for this week's Coverbox Wednesday. Fulci would be proud.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet covers. Is that Black Roses cover box a pop-up one?
-Mike

Anonymous said...

Yeah the 'disembodied eyes' is still popular today; I think it's because you are able to get fear or terror or anger across very easily using eyes. You just make them frown to emote anger or widen to show fear.

- Zac

Jay Clarke said...

Yeah Mike, I believe Black Roses did come in one of those shifting 3-D covers. Not ours though.

gil mann said...

I believe Black Roses did come in one of those shifting 3-D covers.I'm pretty sure it didn't, acrually. Suppose I could look it up but that's not the point---the point is, this is the sort of thing I'm pretty sure about, and there's just no escuse for that.

Man, I hope nothing important in my brain got overwritten by the Synapse catalog.

Matt said...

Nice observation. I never thought about that, but yeah, there are so many covers that use that technique. I wonder if that trend will fade away as rental stores are becoming a thing of the past.

Jay Clarke said...

Yeah Matt, that's what I'm basically trying to preserve here at THS. DVD Covers today are usually just photoshopped heads in a semi-circle.