In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

In The Year 2000... plus ten.

So, here we are! 2010 people! We're in the future, the year we make contact apparently. What better way to celebrate this brave new world than by pulling out a few old coverboxes. Here is a selection of movies that either took place in the 'future', featured 'futuristic' tech, or, as in one case, had a time travelling scientist from 2031.

I couldn't find the cover we had with Jan-Michael Vincent looking all bad-ass holding a BFG.

Okay, that last one was a Jumbo Video special, but I love that freakin' piece of trash. Any flick that takes place in 225 A.B. (yes you read that right, A.B. stands for 'After the Bomb') rules all as far as I'm concerned.

5 comments:

Chris H said...

Ha, great list!

I was just thinking the other day about how Escape from New York takes place in the future 1997.
haha!

I Like Horror Movies said...

I think we finally outlived the global destruction in SPLIT SECOND, so thats one less apocalypse to worry about along with Terminator 2's Judgement Day in 1997 =D

Matt said...

Oh man, I totally forgot about Man's Best Friend. I remember being scared by the cover at my local video store.

Wednesday's Child said...

Oh wow I love this post. I worked in a crazy independent video store in the 90s and I miss VHS boxes almost as much as I miss independent video stores! It's like the boxes took up where album art left off, but now DVD covers don't do anything more for me than CD covers did. Oh well, at least we still have Polish movie posters.

Samir said...

advance new year quotes