In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Great White North

I thought, with it being the Olympics and all, that I’d represent and throw up a Canadian company’s intro today. Here’s one for Cinépix Film Properties.



I had to use a clip posted by YouTube user MachineryNoise, as my recently purchased copy of David Cronenberg’s Rabid did not want to co-operate.

I always thought C/FP stood for Cineplex/Famous Players – Canada’s largest theatre chain – for some reason. C/FP distributed hundreds of titles theatrically throughout Canada in the seventies and got into the home video market shortly thereafter. As you would expect, they released many of the classic Canadian horror titles, such as Cannibal Girls, Shivers and Rabid. Other titles to hit video store shelves through C/FP over the years were The Crazies, Vampyres, Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer, The Pyx, Carnosaur and The Toxic Avenger. They were also a purveyor of exploitation content, including titles from the Ilsa, Emmanuelle and Mondo series.

In 2001, Cinépix Film Properties was acquired by Lions Gate Entertainment.

This will be the last home video company intro for a while. I’m going to wait for spring and the appearance of some hopefully fruitful garage sales in my area. Shortly after that, I hope to return with a new series of eight.

No comments: