In addition to the usual reviews and comments you would find on a horror movie blog, this is also a document of the wonderfully vast horror movie section of the video store I worked at in my youth.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day Six.


I’d been hearing good things about a recent German zombie effort called Rammbock, so I headed over to Eyesore and grabbed myself a copy.


Michael (Michael Fuith) travels to Berlin in an attempt to win back his ex-girlfriend, but instead becomes trapped in her apartment complex amid a zombie outbreak.

Rammbock wastes no time, thrusting you into the midst of the outbreak within the first five minutes. It is all about economy, giving you just the information you need before the shit hits the fan. Unlike Resonnances, the flick I talked about a few days ago, Rammbock’s low budget was not a limitation. If anything, its bare bones approach added to the reality of the situation.


I’ve said before that zombie movies are my bread and butter, so at this point, I don’t expect much from them. Give me what I want and I’ll be happy. So, I was a little taken aback by how many novel ideas were put forth here. The way the apartment’s inhabitants communicated with each other was a wonderful expansion on something that was toyed with in 2004’s Dawn of the Dead remake and the usual, tried and true laws of the zombie movie were played with in cool, new ways. I’m not exaggerating when I say that every ten minutes, Rammbock hit me with something fresh and unexpected. The movie was not overly gory, but considering how rock solid everything else was, I hardly cared. That's saying something right there.


I’m really kind of surprised this movie hasn’t made a bigger splash within the horror community. I understand its sixty-minute length may make it difficult to sell, but shit, how often is it that you find a horror film where the only negative is that it’s too short?

I was expecting Rammbock – or Siege of the Dead, as it is apparently known domestically – to be decent, but I couldn’t have imagined it would be this good. It is smart, compact and a hell of a lot of fun. That’s pretty much everything you want from a zombie flick, right?

No comments: